Thursday, November 11, 2004

Tools & Accessories

As a gun owner I have thought about this subject for years. The average gun owner does need a few tools and accessories. I am into tools big time because of what I do, most of my hand tools are the very best that money can buy. A person that is just a gun owner needs to know about what he or she should need and what and where to buy them.
If you own a handgun you will need to have a case to keep it in, many people like a hard case, I personally like a soft zippered case made by "BOYT" , there are none better.

You will of course need cleaning equipment, people ask me all the time which products are best. There are a lot of good products on the market, I generally buy everything from Brownells. I buy about 1 case per week of LPS MICRO X which is a contact cleaner that dries instantly from an industrial supply. I am a catalog buyer, I do not have the time to shop around and I buy 99% of everything I need using my telephone, including handguns.

I buy DEWEY and PRO-SHOT and PARKER-HALE cleaning rods and the proper Jags to fit each caliber. You will need bore cleaning preparations as sold in Brownells on page 288 of catalog 57, buying HOPPE'S or ACCUPRO or REMINGTON, etc, will be fine. Buy a tooth brush to help clean your weapon and it will help a great deal if you buy a dental pick, they are listed on page 175 of Brownells catalog 57.

It would be a good idea to own a good set of screw driver bits made for gun screws. You can get a very nice set from Brownells. These are APEX bits and I use the very same thing, only my ratchet screwdrivers are made by SNAP-ON and run about $40.00 each, I have at least a half dozen. You do not need to buy things like I use daily but you will need a set of Allen wrenches, both metric and inches.
If you adjust sights you will need a set of very small jewelry type screw drivers made by Craftsman, sold by Sears. If you rely on a specific handgun and are really into this weapon you may want to invest in a sight pusher made specifically for your model.

For people that are into 1911 pistols there are tools you will want, for instance if you ever tried to cut one coil off your recoil spring because of weak ball ammo you will need cutting pliers that have hardened steel jaws. If you used regular diagonal cutting pliers the spring steel would chip and ruin them in no time.
Having a very small leather mallet is a good idea. I make my own bronze pry bar to remove grips and things that will not scratch any fine handgun.

If you own revolvers you will want some speed loaders. I suggest you buy some fluorescent paint so you can use it on specific handgun sights. You must buy the color that suits you best, I have my own favorite colors.
If you are a woman you will need a quality handbag to accomodate a handgun, look at the CORONADO LEATHER COMPANY. There are many other companies that specialize in these bags. There are many holsters that are available everywhere. I personally only buy my holsters from LOU ALESSI 716 691 5615 , I order everything from Lou by phone, as I have specific needs.

For each semi auto pistol you own you should have at least 3 magazines and my choice would be 5. If you have a favorite semi auto, buy an extra recoil spring and guide rod, just put it aside. It would be a good idea to have extra critical springs for your carry gun such as firing pin spring and an extra firing pin. I would order an extra sear spring and extractor and extractor spring. In my case where I have a love affair with an HK P7 M8 and I know parts are hard to come by, I have an extra P7 pistol that I can cannibalize in an emergency for parts during hard times. Do not think we are living in a safe world now, we will be attacked and its not if but when. We are living in the most dangerous of times.

I suggest you buy a SENTRY TUFF CLOTH to wipe down your handgun regularly especially if you have a blued handgun. Modern handguns today are not all blued like years ago, many have an epoxy baked on finish that holds up very well. Always put a rust preventative lurbrication under your grips, so having the right screw driver bits or allen wrench will pay off. You can get a nice plastic fishing tackle box to store all your tools and accessories in. Of course safety comes first and you will need to be able to secure your handgun from unwanted hands, this must be top priority.

Should you have any questions about any specific products, please feel free to email me and I will respond and I will point you in the right direction. YOU MUST START TO ACCUMULATE EXTRA AMMUNITION FOR EACH CALIBER YOU USE, DO NOT WAIT.


AUTHORS PERSONAL NOTATION: This commentary as well as all my previous commentaries are my opinion only. I mean what I say and I say what I mean.
I want to thank you for all the emails you have sent me and I will answer all of you. There are people that I will not have anymore communication with, but they know who they are. I will continue my daily commentaries and please pass this link on to other gun people that could benefit from my knowledge.


Teddy Jacobson / Pistolsmith
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com
www.actionsbyt.blogspot.com/