Saturday, October 30, 2004

HK USP Compact

I work on quite a few of these HK polymer frame pistols. It was not easy to figure out a way to improve the Double Action / Single Action design. This was a real challenge for me. They are available with a Blackened slide as well as a Stainless Steel slide. It incorporates a time tested and proven external extractor system that works very well.

The Compact version had an unusual problem that I detected in the 45 acp model and some of the others, it had a very slow trigger return system. I have been able to overcome this problem with some modifications but I was very careful not to jeopardize the factory warranty. I spent countless amount of hours trying to correct this problem.

When I get any new model, before I ever take any new handgun apart, I study the exploded drawings very carefully so I can understand every part of that pistol, and how it works. The more I worked on this Compact the more I got to like it. HK offers many thumb safety variants. Being left handed I have learned to adapt to this right handed world, there is no choice. I do not mind using this USP Compact with variant 1 decocking system for right handed people.

The barrel is excellent in this USP as in all HK handguns, the steel is so hard that in order for me to work on the feed ramp I must use a very different type of abrasive and polish. This compact has an ambi' style magazine release that works very well. This pistol is available in 9mm, 40 s&w, 357 sig, 45 acp calibers, and the weight of the pistol empty is approx. 27 ounces empty depending on the model you have. Barrel length is 3.5 inches.

This is a very well made handgun and I own one in 45 acp. That alone tells you that I like it, my personal USP has a Stainless Steel slide. It has a magazine capacity of 8 rounds and one cartridge in the chamber gives me 9 rounds of 45 acp fire power. The USP has a 3 white dot sight system which works fine. I always like some kind of color on the front sight, I do not mind white but at my age, there will be no more black only sights as I can't see them very well.

HK barrels have the very best crown in the business for a factory handgun. There is never a reason to recut the crown on any HK pistol as long as it still has the factory barrel. The rifling is superb and my HK customers really like the accuracy and the reliability of their compact model. It has a firing pin block safety system that works fine.

It is possible to change safety variants, if for instance you wanted an ambi thumb safety. The German made magazines are very well made and in 45 acp, they run about $50.00 each.
With my action work I have been able to achieve a Double Action pull of 9 lbs and I can make the Single Action 4 lbs. and with the improved trigger return system this pistol is a first rate top of the line handgun for Law Enforcement and civilians alike.

This is a very popular handgun for serious people that want superior German quality at a premium price.

Authors Personal Notation: This commentary as well as all my previous commentaries are my personal opinion only. I mean what I say and I say what I mean.

Teddy Jacobson / Pistolsmith
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com
www.actionsbyt.blogspot.com/