Thursday, October 21, 2004

Questions & Answers Part 3

Q = What kind of Cold blue do you use and how do you apply it ?

A = I have found that Brownells Oxpho Blue Cream Formula is the best for my work. You will get best results if you use a hair dryer and heat the metal to about 110 degrees F. before applying the Oxpho Blue Cream.


Q = What kind of Stones and grit size do you use in your daily work ?

A = The Stones I use and like are Aluminum Oxide and Silicone Carbide. I use a special stoning oil on the stones. For routine work I use 320 grit and for finer work I use 600 grit.


Q = In your Glock pistols do you use the original guide rod ?

A = No, I prefer to use either a Wolff after market guide rod and Wolff spring or an ISMI guide rod with their excellent Chrome Silicon Flat Alloy spring.


Q = Do you like the Springfield Armory "XD" pistol from Croatia ?

A = I have already worked on 2 of them with excellent results and they seem to be made well. The down side to this pistol is that it will be very difficult to remove and replace the extractor.


Q = For a good general lubricant that comes in an Aerosol, what do you recommend ?

A = LPS No. 1 is a superb general lubricant. LPS No. 3 is for long term rust proof storage.


Q = What type of lubricant do you use on the rails of a semi auto pistol ?

A = I use a VERY thin film of Militec grease. Which has a Lithium base.


Q = Why do you like Stainless Steel handguns ?

A = The Stainless Steel of today is very good. I have no problem working on it using a different kind of abrasive. Galling is a thing of the past using modern lubricants. If you have a scratch on a satin finished gun it can easily be removed using a blending pad.


Q = Which handguns are best for left handed people ?

A = All revolvers are good. The best totally ambi' type pistol is the HK P7 M8. A south paw must adapt in this right handed world. I use a Glock with a New York Trigger Spring, as I am left handed. I like the DA/SA type pistols also as I do not use a safety, all it requires is training in safe gun handling.


Q = Who makes the best Holsters ?

A = There are many good holster makers but I only buy Alessi holsters. Lou makes everything I need including my Velcro belts. It does not get any better than Alessi holsters and belts.


Q = Where do you buy your parts ?

A = I buy 90% of everything I need from Brownells.


Q = Where do you buy your hand tools ?

A = Most of my hand tools are Snap-On. You get what you pay for.


Q = Do you use a Dremel tool ? Which model ?

A = I do not use a hobby type Dremel tool, they would not last 30 days. I use industrial type hangup motors using a foot control. I own at least 7 of these. I buy Foredom and Dremel motors and I use a Foredom No. 30 handpiece.


Q = When you drill and tap, which tapping fluid do you use ?

A = I like Castrol Moly Dee or Cool Tool II.


Q = Do you like a Ruger SP 101 revolver ?

A = Yes, it is a very strong well made revolver. It is on the heavy side but will handle +P loads very well. It is not a smooth action but can be refined.


Q = Can I safely change the springs in my J frame S&W revolver using reduced power springs ?

A = Not unless you take the friction out of the system.


Teddy Jacobson
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com
www.actionsbyt.blogspot.com/