Saturday, October 09, 2004

Beretta 92F

This is without a doubt one of the most reliable large frame 9mm pistols made. I have owned quite a few of these pistols and my premises are protected by this model as I have complete faith in its dependability. You can now buy High Capacity Magazines that hold 15 cartridges for this pistol as the HI CAP ban is no longer in effect. This 92F has been my wifes choice for her concealed carry handgun for many years and its 16 rounds of pure HELL with the proper ammunition.

When you buy a new 92F, out of the box the Double action is approx. 14 lbs and the Single action is 6 lbs. I always make the Double action 9 lbs and I set the Single action at 4 lbs. It has a factory stardard recoil spring rated at 13 lbs. that makes it easy for most people to rack the slide. The barrel locks up in the rear and it has a chrome lined bore. The front end of the barrel has no bushing or lock up and therefore it not as accurate as some of its competition. There are options, if you purchase a Brigadier 92 Elite II you will see a different barrel that is tighter at the front end of the slide area. This is a heavier model with a massive slide by comparison to the standard 92F. I do not like and will not install after market barrels in the standard 92F.

People with medium and small hands have a difficult time holding the 92F because its a wide grip due to the double stack magazine, but I have managed to cut the original plastic grips to 1/2 thickness. Wolff spring company now has a superior "TRIGGER RETURN SPRING CONVERSION UNIT" that converts the factory wire spring to a coil spring unit that will not break. I have used the after market triggers supplied by my customers for the 92F and I DO NOT LIKE THEM AND I WILL NO LONGER INSTALL THEM. I suggest you stay with the original factory parts, everyone seems to have a better idea when they dream about BENJAMIN FRANKLIN. The Brigadier comes with a plastic fluted guide rod and that is the first thing that I replaced in mine with one made of steel.

The Military uses the 92F, known as the M9 and if cared for properly will feed and extract with no problem. YOU MUST TAKE THE EXTRACTOR OUT PERIODICALLY AND CLEAN IT AND THE SPRING AND THE RECESS IT SITS IN. The 92F has an identifiable RED mark on the top of the extractor which is an indicator letting you know when a cartridge is in the chamber. It also has a firing pin block safety system. I always keep my Berettas operational with a very light thin coating of MILITEC metal conditioner.
In the sands of IRAQ you must NEVER use a heavy oil or grease with this open slide design as it will attract sand like a magnet. If you keep it on the dry side it will work fine in bad weather areas.

In a high capacity pistol for serious self defense work I always tell people to put a tracer round in the magazine, placing the tracer the fourth bullet from the bottom, so that when you see a tracer round fired you always know you have three more rounds.
I like to paint the original sights using Fluorescent paint, I prefer Fluorescent yellow on the front sight and Fluorescent orange in the rear. That combination will help in low light conditions.
For serious people you should have at least FIVE (5) , Fifteen (15) shot magazines. I would also have on hand an extra recoil and firing pin spring (factory standard rating) , a firing pin, extractor, extractor pin and extractor spring and some heavy duty magazine springs as well.
IF YOU DETERMINE YOU WANT THIS TO BE YOUR MAIN SURVIVAL WEAPON, ITS AN EXCELLENT CHOICE.

Teddy Jacobson
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com