Thursday, October 07, 2004

Cleaning your Handgun

This is critical, you must keep your handgun clean as your life depends on it. I have tried most cleaning agents and lubrications on the market. You must always remember some of these cleaning agents will ruin plastic, and your painted sights and your grips. Stay away from any product that contains METHYLENE CHLORIDE which is paint remover. I now use LPS MICRO X cleaner, its not made for guns, its a superb contact cleaner that dries instantly. You can go to www.lpslabs.com and research it. If you want to buy it go to www.mscdirect.com


It comes in an 11 ounce aerosol and I buy a case each week. If you own a Walther pistol I suggest removing the plastic grips off all models where possible before cleaning, that also applies to the Sig 230 and 232. METHYLENE CHLORIDE will eat up the backstrap of a Walther P99. I use the long spout that comes with each can for pin point cleaning. I spray everything until it runs clean and there is no reason to go beyond field stripping most semi auto pistols. If you shoot a lot of lead bullets you will need to buy a LEWIS lead remover for your specific bore caliber. I personally do not and never have used lead bullets.

After the gun is very clean using LPS MICRO X, and in some cases you will need to use a tooth brush or a dental pick or Q-Tips. You can then re lubricate your handgun very lightly using MILITEC metal conditioner. Go to www.militec-1.com This is a superb lubricant, I use it in all my action work. In my own carry pistol I usually air brush a special type of moly or ceramic coating on the barrel and bake it on. This cuts down the friction and the coating lasts for years, its excellent for a Beretta Cougar with the rotating barrel. Militec has a Lithium base grease that can be used in very small quantities for the rails of a semi auto pistol. It works very well.
Cleaning a revolver limits you to the obvious, pull the hammer back and spray the MICRO X down in the action until clean and re lube.

Before you buy any spray cleaner check the ingredients, make sure its safe on plastics. Keep your breech face and extractor dry and so not lube your magazines. Seal the primers of your carry ammunition as outlined in a previous commentary. For cleaning the bore there are many good products on the market. I do not know which is best for your application, its a matter of personal choice, try a few different brands and you decide which is best for you. If you use JB bore paste mix it with STP which is sold in all auto supply stores and it will be easier to use. NEVER CARRY A FILTHY GUN, YOU MUST KEEP IT CLEAN IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE.

AUTHORS PERSONAL NOTATION: I HAVE SEEN THAT A NUMBER OF CHEAP VERBAL ATTACKS WERE TAKEN AT ME ON VARIOUS FORUMS WHEN THEY KNOW I CAN NOT RESPOND. THE RESENT ME TELLING IT LIKE IT IS. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY DECISION NOT TO GO BACK TO FORUMS. I AM SURE THESE TOUGH GUYS FEEL REAL BRAVE WHEN THEY COME OUT OF THEIR CLOSET IN THEIR BLACK NINJA OUTFITS AND ATTACK ME WITH THEIR KEYBOARD. I AM WAITING FOR THEM TO PHYSICALLY THREATEN ME AND I WILL IMMEDIATELY GO TO THE FBI COMPUTER CRIMES DIVISION AND THE LOCAL TEXAS POLICE.
MY CUSTOMERS WILL CONTINUE TO SPEAK FOR ME ABOUT THE QUALITY OF MY WORK AND MY OUTSTANDING WORK ETHICS OF HONESTY.
I DO NOT DO ANY WORK FOR PROBLEM PEOPLE OF ANY KIND.
NO ONE FORCES YOU TO READ MY COMMENTARIES. I WORK HARD TO DO THIS FOR DECENT PEOPLE EVERYWHERE IN ORDER TO EDUCATE THEM. MY CUSTOMERS HAVE BEEN COPYING AND PASTING ALL THE NASTY COMMENTS TO ME ON A DAILY BASIS. THREATS ARE ONLY A KNOCK AWAY AT YOUR FRONT DOOR BY THE AUTHORITIES.

Teddy Jacobson
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com