Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Work Standards & Ethics

"IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE, I WILL NOT, ITS NOT AN OPTION"
When I first wanted to become a Pistolsmith and I wanted to do only internal trigger and action work, I asked a Gunsmith friend in Texas what he thought, He said he did not know of anyone just making a living just doing trigger work. I was determined to do it. Its been very difficult to learn about all the models I work on, I have made it a practice to find out and learn about all these handguns regardless of what I had to do.

Gunsmiths have been buying the same type of products for 50 years that I know of, they are still using old technology. I am fully aware of what people buy and use including the same stones and polishing media. I decided many years ago that I would seek out alternative methods and go to other industries to try and learn all I could that was technically advanced that could apply to the internals of handguns, making you a much better carry gun. I used to buy springs from Walter Wolff's father 40 years ago, he was sharp as a tack. Major George Nonte helped educate me. The only people that refused to give me the right time of day were the people in the Pistolsmith Guild in the 70's. I never cared what it cost to buy the best Tools or Abrasives or use different unorthodox methods if it would help me do a better job for people like you that depend on a handgun for Protection of Life and Property.

How many Smiths today understand the cross reference today of grading of files between the American cut vs. the Swiss cut vs. the German cut, do they even care ???
I never passed on the additional cost to the customer. I even JEWEL my internal work using CERAMIC PARTICLES at a great expense to me. For those that have seen my invoices, they can tell you that I do many extra things at NO CHARGE (N/C)..
The reason that I will never teach anyone my methods of my work is because my biggest fear is that they would use my name and my reputation to rip people off, that will never happen. My family has instructions that if anything happens to me, my jigs and special tools are never to be sold to anyone. My Logo templates are to be destroyed.

At this point in time I know more than I ever did, I can take most any 5 guns apart and put all the parts in a common bowl and separate them with ease to their respective model. I am still searching for better products and methods. I use very advanced adhesives and as an example using an Anaerobic adhesive that is Thixotropic can never work to hold a tiny extractor pin because the viscosity is too thick. If you used a wicking Anaerobic adhesive it will keep penetrating as you can not stop it and it will bind your external extractor.

I have no association with any Gunsmith or Pistolsmith. I just live in my own world of trying to make you the best carry handgun money can buy. MANY OF MY REFINED HANDGUNS HAVE BEEN TO THUNDER RANCH AND OTHER FACILITIES AND NOT ONE HANDGUN THAT I WORKED ON HAS EVER FAILED TO WORK FLAWLESSLY THAT I KNOW OF.

I try and keep my prices reasonable and I do not ever BS anyone. I have always explained to everyone what I believe is true, I am not concerned about winning a popularity contest, your very life depends on me and I will never let you down.
I have a great affection for the 1911 pistol, Government model, but I care about the internals, sure I like a nice looking pistol, but the finish and the checkering and the fancy grips are not a concern if you want to win a social encounter and be able to go home that day after a lethal altercation. I want you to have the most reliable handgun that can be made. I do it all by hand, a custom 1911 takes me 70 to 80 hours of hand work.

I have earned my reputation the hard way, no one ever provided me with an easy way up to the top of the mountain. I just want to be remembered for my quality of my work, my sincere dedication, and my honest work ethics.

Teddy Jacobson
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com