Thursday, September 30, 2004

Questions & Answers

1. Can I safely carry a bullet in the chamber of my Makarov pistol because it has a free floating Firing pin ???

1A.= Yes, you can because the free travel of the triangular shaped firing pin is not enough to set off a primer.

2. I have a Star Firestar and I want to know if the magazine safety can be de activated ???

2A.= Yes, very easily but it is not a good idea because of legal reasons. If it must be done its best to de activate it using a reversible procedure.

3. Do you feel comfortable carrying a Glock Pistol with a bullet in the chamber ???

3A.= Yes, I use a New York Trigger spring in my carry Glock and I carry it in a hand boned Alessi holster that totally encompasses the trigger guard.

4. Being you are left handed, how do you carry a 1911 pistol ???

4A.= I have always carried the hammer forward on a live round. I do not and have never used the thumb safety. I always prefer a straight spur hammer.

5. What kind of lubrication do you use on your street carry pistol ???

5A.= I use a very light coating of Militec. I never use any lube of any kind on the breech face or the extractor or in the magazine. I often bake a special type of "MOLY" on the barrel, this is a different kind of "MOLY" used in high performance racing engines.

6. Do you recommend the use of "SHOK BUFFS" in a 1911 pistol that is used for street carry ???

6A.=I never use a "SHOK BUFF" in a street gun. You can not use a "SHOK BUFF" in a small 1911 style pistol. If you had to use one of these S.B.'s in a government size pistol I would suggest you use super glue gel to lock it in place so that when it breaks apart it will stay together and not jam your gun. CP Bullets are the best brand.

7. What is the best possible way to conceal a small to medium size handgun ???

7A.= Use a Belly Band type holster such as the De Santis model 60.

8.Who makes the best 1911 parts ???

8A.=There is no definite answer because many companies buy these parts from sub contractors. If you buy a thumb safety from company "ABC" this week it may be made by subcontractor "A" and if you buy the very same thumb safety from company "ABC" next week it may be made by subcontractor "B". It will be in the same identifiable package brand. Quality varies. Let me say parts are relative, by that I mean I can feel very comfortable using a decent inexpensive good sear in the repair of a $500.00 1911 pistol, BUT I CAN NOT INSTALL A CHEAP SEAR IN A $3500.00 CUSTOM 1911 PISTOL THAT I MAKE. I must know more about the material being used and the Rockwell hardness of the Sear.

9. What kind of finish do you like best for a handgun ???

9A.= I always prefer STAINLESS STEEL or HARD CHROME.

10. Which 45 acp magazines do you like the best ???

10A.= I like the Metal Form magazines and I now use a COBRA Conversion unit which I install.
It consists of a Chrome Silicone alloy wire magazine spring and an advanced follower which is the best there is on the market.

Please email me and let me know if you like these Q&A commentaries.

Teddy Jacobson