Thursday, October 28, 2004

"SUPERSMITHS"

What the term "SUPERSMITH" means to me is that a "NEWBIE" SUPERSTAR either wants to start their career at the top or bought his or her reputation. You must pay your dues and it sometimes takes a lifetime. My evaluation of these plastic SUPERSMITHS in "NO" way reflects the genuine hard working talented Gunsmith or Pistolsmith that has earned their reputation by blood, sweat, and tears and years of hard work.

IF THIS ARTICLE OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE STOP NOW AND GO SOME WHERE ELSE. EVERYTHING IN THIS COMMENTARY IS MY OPINION AND WHAT I TRULY BELIEVE.

The few people I name are genuine hard working full time craftsmen that not only earned there place in the sun but certaily deserve the utmost respect. There are many more genuine dedicated craftsmen that I have not mentioned due to lack of time and space. I do appologize for that.

I have no use for the self proclaimed master gunsmith that has been in the gunsmithing business for 3 to 6 months, give or take, and have made a few 1911 pistols and now he or she is the new Messiah in gunsmithing. There are some real genuine dedicated craftsmen I do admire and I will name a few, people like my friend Ed Vandenberg who happens to be a member of the guild, Ed is sharp as a tack and does a lot of work on 1911 pistols and AR15 rifles. Chuck Rogers does beautiful work on 1911 pistols and his photos are beautiful. Pete Single is the best machine metal checkerer I know, his front straps are outstanding.
Claudio Salassa at Briley's has helped me a great deal as he installs his Stainless Steel barrels for me in Commanders using his spherical bushing. Thanks to him I have made some beautiful commanders. My hands hurt so bad, I now only install barrels in Government models.
Tom Givens of Houston, Texas, now out of the business due to declining health was the best general gunsmith I ever knew. He was an excellent revolver man. Virgil Tripp is super smart and has earned his reputation the hard way just like I did. There are so many more and no time or room to mention everyone.

What I do sincerely resent is the self proclaimed new breed of Pistolsmith that has a regular job and does "SMITHING" on the side and farms out a lot of his work or experiments with your life. These self proclaimed new breed of Pistolsmiths have very limited experience compared to the few people I mentioned. THESE NEWBIES HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BECOME THE BEST OF THE BEST BUT THEY MUST PAY THEIR DUES. You can not take a helicopter to the top of the mountain proclaiming they are now a top DAWG or a player with the big boys.
How dare they compare what people like me went thru to get experience and what not only myself but all the other genuine talented craftsmen went thru to pay our dues. I had to climb the mountain by walking and crawling and sweating my way to the top on foot.

So what is the big deal if they have a 1911 pistol displayed at the shot show at a company booth, why would any company even object if it would bring them some BENJAMIN FRANKLINS, what does the company have to lose. ANY GOOD PLATER CAN MAKE A GUN LOOK GOOD BUT IT IS WHAT IS INSIDE THAT COUNTS. NO ONE SEES THAT PART OF THE DISPLAYED HANDGUN. Its the internal work that refines a handgun, YOU DO NOT WIN A GUNFIGHT BECAUSE YOU HAVE SUPERB BORDERED CHECKERING AND A GOOD BEAVERTAIL FIT ON YOUR 1911 PISTOL. YOU CAN NOT JUST DROP IN SOME CHEAP PARTS THAT NO ONE WILL EVER SEE IN A 1911 PISTOL, ITS ALL BS.

I just took in a very expensive high dollar piece of junk, it is a Commander that was a disaster. I will not tell you who did the job. Even the barrel had to be thrown away and thanks to Claudio he was able to save the frame by installing a ramped barrel. I have junked 95% of the parts. I am starting from square 1, by installing and hand fitting the best of everything. There are many more of these Commanders I will be getting to work on.
I WOULD NOT HAVE THE GALL TO JEPARDIZE A PERSONS LIFE, ESPECIALLY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER IF I WAS NOT SURE WHAT I WAS DOING. HOW DARE THESE PEOPLE DO THIS KIND OF POOR WORK WITH LIMITED EXPERIENCE AND LIVE WITH THEMSELVES.

I honestly think what has changed the unwritten rules of apprenticeship and honesty aside from pure greed is the "INTERNET", because anyone that was an unknown or a wannabbee can become a house hold word over nite by creating their own website and illusions or creating their very own forum or trolling for work on the various existing forums. Its all BS.

I just do trigger work on over 100 different models of handguns. I am no machinist, I know what I am good at and it goes no further. When I do make a Stainless Steel 1911, that pistol never leaves my hands until its delivered to the customer. I have always been a blue collar worker.
IF YOU WANT PRAISE, it should only come from your customers. My gypsy curse is that I am so particular, it drives me crazy. My attention to detail is like a disease. I made my reputation the hard way by doing work for people for 25 years. DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, ask people that own guns I have worked on or at the very least have seen or fired my guns. Ask, Lou Alessi, John Taffin, Michael Boyle, B. R. Hughes, Jack Lewis, Mas Ayoob, Gila Hayes, Hal Swiggett, etc, or the street Cop that relies on my work so he can go home to his family after his shift is over, etc.
The late great gun writer TOM FERGUSON OF GUN WORLD was a very close friend of mine who fired a lot of my guns and its been a great loss for me since hes been gone.

You must have honor and integrity and you must be a true craftsman with genuine ability and PAY YOUR DUES to make it to the top of the mountain. In my case even though I do a lot of 1911 work, there is an entire world out there that exists in my life beyond the 1911 pistol.
Three days ago I worked on a Beretta Cougar. Two days ago I worked on an HK P7 M8. Yesterday was Glock day.

The greatest compliment I have ever gotten was when a Police officer has called to thank me because the work I did for him on his carry gun saved his life. I have gotten a lot of these kind of phone calls from all over the country. A lot of my work is involved in shootings.

"NEVER LIE TO THE GUY IN THE MIRROR"


Teddy Jacobson / Pistolsmith
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com
www.actionsbyt.blogspot.com/