Friday, October 22, 2004

Ruger SP 101 Revolver

I have been asked to write a commentary on this popular revolver. This is a small 5 shot very well made revolver that was introduced by Sturm Ruger in 1993. Other manufacturers have gone to using MIM (Metal Injection Molded) parts and also some plastic parts but not the Ruger SP 101. It is still the same rock solid revolver that weighs 25.5 ounces unloaded with its 2 1/4 barrel. It is fully stainless steel and a well finished casting. Ruger makes the best castings there are and I have no reservations about using them.

I rate this as a first class carry handgun that will handle most any +P cartridge. I previously had owned one chambered in 38 special, but the one I own now is chambered in 357 magnum. Ruger also makes a Double Action Only (DAO) model that has no hammer spur, but the hammer is not concealed like the S&W centennial series. They also make a 3 1/16 inch barrel model that weighs 27 ounces unloaded.

I work on a lot of these revolvers and can get the Double Action down to 9 lbs and I set the Single Action to 3 lbs. I do not recommend a beginner or wannabbee SMITH trying to learn to work on revolvers, trying to learn on this model because there is NO side plate and you must evaluate a problem by having the experience of knowing how to correct a specific symptom.
A revolver of this design having no side plate to remove, there is no way to observe and study the action work, you can get your self into a lot of trouble trying to correct these revolver actions. It can become your worst nightmare.

It has a patented transfer bar safety system and the cylinder rotates counter clockwise looking from the rear. They do make a model that is chambered in 22 Long Rifle. You can not just install reduced power springs in these SP 101 revolvers because you will create ignition problems. When I refine one of these revolvers I do install Wolff springs but I am able to get away with this BECAUSE I know how to remove the friction out of the action. It helps when you physically reshape the trigger so it is easier on your index finger.

The down side to owning a Ruger SP 101 is that if you need a specific part that Ruger says is critical in nature, these parts are not for sale to you or me, and you must return the revolver to the Ruger factory for them to install the critical part.

To be able to shoot this revolver rapidly in the double action mode you must let the trigger return fully forward or you will not be able to pull the trigger for the second shot. The SP 101 comes with cushioned rubber grips with wood inlays and there is no reason to change them. The front sight is too small to install a fluorescent insert so I just paint it using fluorescent orange and that works fine. Installing a front night sight in my opinion would be a waste of money because the tritium vial would be too small in diameter and would not be easy to see, especially some one my age.

If you want a small powerful revolver that is built like a Sherman tank, this is it. It does have a frame mounted firing pin that has never caused me any problems. Ruger has not cut any corners like the other manufacturers have done.
My personal SP 101 is a keeper.

Authors Personal Notation: I suggest you print all my commentaries and put them in a loose leaf binder for future reference. I plan on giving all of you a world of information that is not obtainable anywhere. No Magazine or Forum can tell you what I will, because I answer to no one but myself, If you want the truth, this is where you will find it. Thankyou for all your emails. I will continue to write about what you ask of me. I have no agenda of any kind but the Truth and Honesty and Integrity. Again to those that attack me or complain about me not giving them light triggers, I TELL THEM ALL UP FRONT, IF YOU WANT A LIGHT TRIGGER FIND SOME ONE ELSE. I am not about to lose my property or my house in civil suits to satisfy a MORON.

Teddy Jacobson
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com
www.actionsbyt.blogspot.com/