Monday, October 25, 2004

Questions & Answers Part 4

Q = What is the difference between Simichrome polish vs. Flitz polish ?

A = Simichrome is abrasive. Flitz is NON abrasive.


Q = How do you polish carbide ?

A = Use BORON CARBIDE COMPOUND.


Q = What do you use to lap a frame and slide ?

A = I use SILICONE CARBIDE COMPOUND in 1200 grit.


Q = What brand files do you buy ?

A = Nicholson and Grobet.


Q = How do they grade Diamond compound ?

A = Micron sizes. They are available in oil and water soluble compounds. I add my own thinner.


Q = Why do they use a 9mm firing pin in a 45 acp pistol ?

A = It was a solution to a NON EXISTANT PROBLEM that some Genius said would prevent gas backing up into the larger 45 cal. firing pin hole, harming the shooter. When is the last time you ever saw or heard of a shooter being hurt by his 45 cal firing pin ? I never have.


Q = Are all 9mm firing pins going to fit my Caspian slide ?

A = "NO" , Use a Caspian 9mm firing pin, keep extras on hand.


Q = How do you set your magazine to lock up higher in your 1911 pistol ?

A = I silver solder a hardened steel shim to the ledge of the magazine catch assembly, which is not an easy job. You must know what thickness of steel to add.


Q = How do you remove a tight Ejector from a 1911 frame with out damaging the frame ?

A = After I remove the cross pin ( SA does not use a cross pin) I have a special tool made for me by "BUBBA" which pulls it right out of the frame, without damaging the frame.


Q = What grit size do you finish an engagement angle of a 1911 sear ?

A = I use approx. 3000 grit. It is a mixture I mix myself using "STP" from the Auto industry.


Q = Which brand of 1911 Disconnector do you like best ?

A = I usually buy my Disconnectors from Caspian and I always modify them and check the length.


Q = Have you ever totally disassembled a Para Ordnance "LDA" ?

A = Yes, This is "NOT" a job for the average person. It can be your worst nitemare, don't do it.


Q = How do you make various internal adjustments internally in various handguns ?

A = I have always liked to install Stainless Steel screws size 80 and 72. I many cases after installation I silver solder them so that they will never move under recoil.


Q = How can I protect a nice blue polished slide from rusting and showing finger prints ?

A = Use pure Carnuba wax and apply it to your blue slide, giving it 2 good coats. You can use Flitz Carnuba wax or get some from an auto parts store.


Q = What kind of Dremel type points will cut very hard steel ?

A = Use Cobalt stones made for a Dremel tool.


Teddy Jacobson
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com
www.actionsbyt.blogspot.com/