Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Refining your SIG

I am constantly getting calls about this subject because the gun owner is constantly getting bad information. People are always calling me to ask my opinion and advice. Sig Sauer pistols are very unforgiving if you attempt to work on them without understanding the reality of what can and what can not be done.
The Sig 210 should never be worked on, period. The motivation is always the same, BENJAMIN FRANKLIN. I only work on guns for protection of life and property. If you want your Sigs to continue to work reliably you must make the correct decisions. There is nothing wrong with the original Sig barrel, you do not need an oversize after market barrel with tighter tolerences. You must realize when barrels get hot they expand, this will cause you problems. There is no way you can remove the hard anodizing done in Germany. I do not care who tells you otherwise, ask your self what is their motivation. CALL THE FACTORY GUNSMITH AND ASK HIM.

If you plate your slide and your barrel and get too much of a plating buildup, the slide will no longer go into battery, another words the slide will lack at least 1/8 of an inch of going fully forward and not go into full battery position and your Sig will no longer be operational.
A Sig pistol has a reset spring and you can see it by looking at the back of your hammer, just above the tang of the frame. The 230, 232, 239 are different. No other major modern semi auto pistol uses this system. If you lighten your hammer spring too much by cutting coils or by using a light replacement spring you will have misfires.

I have seen many Gunsmiths and Pistolsmiths install the triggar bar spring in the wrong hole in the trigger bar and this could cost you your life. A Sig pistol can be super reliable but when you treat it like these other semi autos with out the reset design you are just begging for a disaster. I can not begin to tell you how many times I have repaired Sigs that have already been worked on by the "EXPERTS".

If you do not believe me, do your self a favor and call the factory in Exiter, N.H. as they take in about 6000 repairs a year. They just love these SMITHS that have worked on your Sig as the repair bill just goes sky high. You must use the following guide lines if you own a Sig Pistol.

1. Keep the original factory parts as is.

2. Never try and get a super light Double Action trigger pull.

3. Never remove the finish off the frame.

4. Never use an after market barrel.

5. Never install a stronger firing pin spring.

6. You CAN plate your slide if you want.

7. You can NOT plate your barrel.

8. Do NOT use after market triggers.

9. Do not use strong cleaning agents and get it on the grips of your 230, 232.

10. Do not try and convert your mag. release button your self to L.H. operation.

11. Do not try and install the new type trigger return spring under your standard right grip panel, it will not work.

12. If you replace the front sight, use the same number as factory standard which is stamped on front sight.

13. Never bang on new Tritium gas sights, use a correct sight pusher.

14. Always spray cleaning agent like LPS MICRO X in the hole on left side of extractor to clean internal areas.

15. Never over tighten after market allen type grip screws.

16. There is nothing wrong with the factory standard twisted wire recoil spring.

17. Never try to checker the front strap of your anodized aluminum frame.

18. Never cut your mag. release catch assembly spring.

KEEP YOUR PISTOL CLEAN AS YOUR VERY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. ANY QUESTIONS CALL ME. This Sig Sauer pistol is a tried and proven design and DO NOT LET ANY ONE talk you into any un necessary work so you can help make their LEXUS payment.


AUTHORS PERSONAL NOTATION: This commentary as well as all my previous commentaries are my personal opinion only. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. "IT IS WHAT IT IS" I am my own man and I am in bed with no one, the truth shall set you free. I realize that I should have read that book "HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE" . I have the book but I never read it because I have my own code of Honor and Ethics. I can not be bought.
Thankyou for reading my daily commentaries and for you 2 faced people out there just go away, we do not need you here. I want to thank all of you for the nice emails you are sending me and I intend to answer all of them, just please give me a chance to catch up.


Teddy Jacobson / Pistolsmith
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com
www.actionsbyt.blogspot.com/