Friday, November 12, 2004

Unarmed Defense

This will be a different kind of commentary, please let me know if you want to know more about this subject. At one point in time I was a young strong kid that spent many hours every week training on how to fight when some one pulled a handgun on me or I was faced against a knife. I took this very seriously.
It helps a great deal if a person were to understand the mechanics of the handgun being pulled on you. I have spent years learning about all this and I will explain some of it in detail to you. If you were to lose control of clear concentration you are through instantly. You must be aware of every kind of handgun an attacker would pull on you.

Lets talk about a revolver first, it would help to be able to recognize the type of revolver and you must instantly look to see if it has an exposed hammer and determine whether its cocked or not, this is critical. Being 2 or 3 feet in front of a person with an assailant pointing a revolver at you, it will take a split second decision on your part to know what to do. Example, if the hammer of the revolver is cocked you must grab that revolver cylinder but at the same time you must put your index finger or thumb between the hammer and the revolver frame, that will make your assailants revolver inoperable. They can not shoot you while your hand is in control of his revolver. of course you must take what I am saying as the "INITIAL" first step in disarming an attacker. If the revolver hammer is fully forward then you just hold on to the cylinder because the attacker can not pull the trigger in the double action mode. Its easier to swing a revolver cylinder open instantly when you recognize each different release design as per RUGER vs S&W vs COLT, etc.

If some one pulls a 1911 pistol on you, you must note instantly whether the hammer is back or not, if it is, thats better in a way, because when you grab it (side step at a 45 degree angle) and your index finger must hook into the trigger guard and with shear hand strength you can push the slide to the rear 1/4 of an inch taking the slide out of battery and the pistol will become inoperable until you react with offensive moves. I never said this was easy but your options are limited. Speed is on your side. Its always better to fight and know how to react that die like a cowering wimp.
If it is a high dollar production Baer pistol you would not be able to budge the slide and would have to insert your index finger or thumb in between the hammer and the slide if its cocked. You must know your handguns, its that important.

If an attacker pulls a Beretta 92F or a similar Taurus thats a plus for you because you can take the slide of the loaded pistol being pointed at you in split seconds. I have done it many times. On the 92F the take down button (as long as it has not been cut flush) is pushed on the right side of the frame in front of the trigger guard, as you push the button with your left index finger, use your left thumb to rotate the disassembly lever down and pull the slide toward you and your assailant is holding a frame with the magazine still in place and his slide and barrel is in your hand. With practice this can be done very quickly.

Most every semi auto pistol can be disabled by pushing the slide out of battery. Each handgun is a little different. If your attacker had a third generation type S&W semi auto pistol you would know that it has a magazine safety. If I could get near the magazine release button and push it, he would be out of business. Even if the magazine did not fully drop out of the gun it would still become inoperable, all the magazine has to do is drop a little out of its locked position. It would give you enough time to become very offensive. I have studied most every handgun from a self defense standpoint, of course you run the risk of being shot, but my way you still have a fighting chance to over come an attacker. You must understand the basic mechanics of different firearms, you do not need to be a gunsmith or a pistolsmith. This will give you confidence when facing the wrong end of a handgun.

Its always easier to defeat the mechanism of a larger handgun than a small one. Having this problem at night makes things more difficult. You must instantly recognize what you are faced with. Facing an attacker with a knife is a different ball game. You can not cut me from 20 feet away, but if the gap is 3 to 5 feet away I have to react very quickly. This is an entirely separate commentary.

If you are faced at the wrong end of a tiny handgun like a Naa Guardian or a Seecamp or a similar design, you just clamp your index finger or thumb over the back of the hammer and your assailant can not pull the trigger because its a double action only design. We always learned to side step one way or another at a 45 degree angle giving us a better position and getting away from the muzzle of the gun. This is not a game, this is reality.

I do not know how much interest you have in this type of commentary, but if you are interested please let me know by email.
Having a news paper is a very serious weapon and can be made lethal in seconds but I regret I can not go into this kind of detail because of the world we live in and I do not know who will be reading these commentaries. I have spent my younger part of my life learning about all these things, now I worry about talking about them. At this point in time I am just an old bird but it was not always like this, I lived in the best of times and have almost met the grim reaper many times over. My memories are still with me.
Thanks for reading my daily commentaries and please pass this link on to your friends, and or post it on a decent forum.


AUTHORS PERSONAL NOTATION: This commentary as well as all previous commentaries are my personal opinions and viewpoints only. I always say what I mean and I mean what I say. We are getting between 400 to 500 hits per day and one day we had 800 hits. That is more than most websites get. As long as you have an interest I will keep writing. I have not even scratched the surface of what I know. Thankyou for making this Blogger site a success.


Teddy Jacobson / Pistolsmith
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com
www.actionsbyt.blogspot.com/