Thursday, May 12, 2005

Handgun Grips

WELCOME TO THE NO BS ZONE OF TEDDY JACOBSON


I have had many requests from people to discuss all kinds of handgun grips for semi autos and revolvers. I can only give you my opinion based on my experience and what I like to use.

For a carry gun I never use a rubber grip because it will cling to clothing and will expose your concealed carry firearm. It is easier to shoot a handgun with rubber grips because it helps absorb recoil. I would never carry any handgun with any type of rubber grips if your intent is concealed carry.


I select my carry handguns totally different than the average person, I am not in love with any caliber as its always bullet placement. I must think about how loud the report is when firing the pistol or revolver if I am in an enclosed area. That in itself eliminates the 357 magnums immediately for me, although it is a first class man stopper when the bullet is placed in a vital area and the rubber grips that come with a Ruger SP101 work very well and there is no need or reason to change them.


Lets talk about a 1911 pistol first. If you want beauty, then think "ESMERALDA" as she makes beautiful grips for the 1911 pistol. I have installed many of her grips and I like them in the exotic wood she uses. On my own custom 1911 carry pistol I installed SLIM-TECH grips because I have a medium size hand and I like them and they are available in Walnut and Rosewood if I remember right. They can be purchased thru www.brownells.com
They require special grip screw bushings and special screws that come with each set of grips.


There are so many grips on the market its hard to decide. I am more practical than most of the people that I know. I like grips made out of canvas or linen micarta or G10 laminate but the beauty of wood is not there. I for one look at what is practical for my intended use and I do not usually buy exoctic wood grips for a carry gun. Now for a display handgun its hard to beat cocobolo wood. If you will brouse through the Brownells catalog you will be overwhemed at all the various grips that are offered. Grips made by Navridex are very nice and they are made in the philiphines. I have purchased many of them thru the years.


You must first decide what your handgun will be used for before you can decide what to buy. I have owned many sets of Eagle grips that are finished nice but they do not fit well, as this has been my experience thru the years. If you like Eagle grips by all means buy them, they are made in India.
Many of my personal handguns are fitted with just plain practical grips and there is nothing fancy about them.


Years ago I had the Hogue grip company make a set of laminated wood grips for my SW 41 magnum revolver and they are beautiful and it took many phone calls to get them right as frame dimensions vary. I have been very happy with Simonich G10 laminate grips that have my logo on them. They are rough in texture and I personally like that feel. Its always personal selections that decide for you. You can be happy using certain factory grips and if so, there is no reason to change them.


Of course the opinions stated here are my personal opinion and my personal viewpoint. I am one happy camper that likes my Glock pistol and I keep everything stock. I do not give a damn whether you like a Glock pistol or not, because I never have to worry whether it will feed or jam with any ammo and I do not care for a grip reduction of any kind, I can adapt to anything. I do not use decals on my grips area. A glock pistol is a killing machine that I hope I will never have to use. I do take great comfort in knowing that if I place my bullet in a vital area I will get to go home that day. Caliber is not important to me and whether I use my Glock 27 or Glock 19 or whatever with the original plastic grip, that is all I need.


For those that want to see all the grips available I suggest getting a Brownells catalog and go thru the pages of grips. They all have their pros and cons and its best to keep things very simple. Of really prime importance to me carrying my Glock pistol is my custom plain black leather Alessi holster. No one makes a better holster than Lou Alessi.


If you want the strongest grips made you must look at MICARTA, or G10 LAMINATE or CARBON FIBER. If you want the nicest looking grips get wood, my favorite has always been cocobolo at a premium price.


Any questions about grips please email me at tjacobson@houston.rr.com
I will do my best to guide you into making the right decision for your needs.


Teddy