Friday, November 19, 2004

Makarov - Part 5

I have decided to write this continuation a little earlier than usual. I want to start this segment with a list of the Makarov parts so you can see what the Russian design engineers have accomplished with so few parts. This is remarkable.
Parts for the Makarov are as follows; ( I have used the non Russian model for this list, using fixed sights)

1. Slide
2. Extractor
3. Extractor plunger
4. Extractor spring
5. Fixed rear sight
6. Firing pin
7. Thumb safety
8. Thumb safety detent spring
9. Recoil spring
10. Slide stop and ejector
11. Hammer
12. Sear
13. Sear Spring
14. Trigger bar assembly
15. Barrel
16. Trigger
17. Trigger guard
18. Trigger guard pin
19. Trigger guard spring
20. Trigger guard spring plunger
21. Magazine assembly
22. Mainspring
23. Mainspring clamp
24. Grip
25. Grip bushing
26. Grip screw
27. Barrel pin

The following is the disassembly procedure for cleaning and field stripping.
You must always make sure the pistol is unloaded. Safety must come first, Always, repeat, Always remove the magazine before you rack the slide to empty the pistol of any cartridges.

You are going to pull the front portion of the trigger guard down and push it over very little to either side and let it rest on the frame while it remains in the down position. Now you will pull the slide all the way to the rear and lift up the back end of the rear of the slide and you will be able to now ease the slide slowly forward and off the frame. With the help of the recoil spring, it will have helped you guide the slide off the front of the barrel.

You can remove the recoil spring off the fixed barrel. To remove the grip off the frame you must remove the grip screw by turning it counter clockwise. When the screw has been removed, pull the one piece grip straight back off the frame.
YOU HAVE NOW FIELD STRIPPED THE MAKAROV PISTOL.

The Makarov can now be cleaned executing this procedure and no further disassembly is required for the average person that justs wants to clean and maintain their pistol by cleaning it and replacing the lubrication.

At this point I would clean everything using LPS MICRO X contact cleaner and when it is totally clean I would re lube all the contact and moving parts using Militec gun oil. Be sure to clean the chrome lined bore using the proper cleaning rod and jag. Use a bore cleaner and be sure all fouling is removed from the bore.

I use a VERY thin film of lithium base Militec grease on the rails. DO NOT APPLY ANY LUBRICANT OF ANY KIND ON THE BREECH FACE OR THE EXTRACTOR. Spray the Micro X cleaner into the magazine using the 5 inch red spout that comes with each can, until it runs clean. DO NOT PUT ANY LUBRICATION IN THE MAGAZINE.

If you have a blued pistol you can wipe it down with a Sentry Tuff Cloth that will prevent rust.


IN MY NEXT COMMENTARY I WILL TELL YOU HOW TO DETAIL STRIP THE ENTIRE PISTOL. I WILL GO SLOW AND I WILL BE VERY CLEAR SO YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERY THING IN DETAIL. I INTENTIONALLY LISTED ALL THE PARTS AND NUMBERED THEM, SO IN CASE I HAVE TO REFER TO THEM FOR CLARITY. THERE ARE VERY FEW SEMI AUTO PISTOLS THAT I KNOW OF WITH THIS FEW PARTS THAT HAVE BECOME SUCH A SUPER RELIABLE AND ACCURATE SEMI AUTO PISTOL THAT HAS BEEN ACCEPTED BY THE ENTIRE WORLD. NOW YOU SEE HOW VERY SMART THE RUSSIAN DESIGN ENGINEERS REALLY WERE.

Tomorrow - Makarov - Part 6 , This is still Makarov week. I promised you an in depth article on the Makarov and now you are getting it.


AUTHORS PERSONAL NOTATION: This commentary as well as all my previous commentaries are my personal opinion and my viewpoint only. I write these commentaries from memory and I just use reference material for parts lists.
I have yet to see this kind of very valuable information on a forum or in a current monthly publication. I am going to tell it like it is and if you do not like it, please leave and go back to your forums where the same conversation continues, WHAT WOULD YOU BUY ?? WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND ?? WHAT SAFETY IS BEST ?? AND WHEN I USED TO TELL THEM THE TRUTH THEY WOULD ATTACK ME. THIS IS NOW MY WORLD OF TRUTH AND REALITY, AND I DO NOT NEED TO PUT UP WITH THE BS OF THESE WANNABBEES.
I WANT TO THANK THOSE SINCERE PEOPLE THAT ARE COMING HERE TO LEARN. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EMAILS. If you see any mistakes I have made please let me know as I am not good with grammar and its all by memory and I type with one finger. I do not spell very well either.


Teddy Jacobson / Pistolsmith
www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
tjacobson@houston.rr.com
www.actionsbyt.blogspot.com/