Tuesday, May 24, 2005

S&W Semi Auto Pistols

WELCOME TO THE NO BS ZONE OF TEDDY JACOBSON


I am going to confine my commentary to the third generation S&W Semi Auto Pistols. I feel these pistols have always gotten a bad rap from some of the gun writers and the people out there. Through the years I have owned many of them and like most pistols they have their pro's and con's.
These handguns are super reliable in operation. I had owned a new S&W 645 many years ago and it was brand new and to this day I deeply regret having sold it. S&W make many current models in the third generation series and my favorite has always been the 3913 for carry purposes.


I will write about the positive things about these pistols and then I will talk about the downside to these handguns. My good friend the late TOM FERGUSON of Gun World Fame always used one of these pistols in 45 acp, the reason that I know this is that I worked on his pistol. I have discussed these pistols with people like Terry Murbach and John Taffin and Lou Alessi and Walt Rausch, etc, etc. The entire line of S&W third generation pistols should be taken very seriously as many people do not give it a second look and they are very wrong. I have yet to see one of these pistols that were not reliable.


These pistols are not the best feeling handgun to hold, the 4006 is probably the best grip in the extensive line offered by S&W. This 4006 has a steel frame and is quite heavy and is hard to carry for a person with a CHL (concealed handgun license). Most of these third generation pistols come with the traditional Double / Single action set up but they do make a version that is DAO. The DA is usually 14 lbs and the SA is 7 lbs out of the box. The DAO version runs about 12 lbs. This can be greatly inproved if one knows how to remove the friction out of the system. It takes know how and skill and it is not for the beginner smith. There is a trigger play spring that can adjust the free play in the trigger up to a point.


These pistols all use an external extractor system and they work very well. It was all started years ago when S&W introduced the model 39 and then the 59. The late Major George Nonte Jr. liked the model 39 a great deal as he told me about it. This was a very long time ago and since then S&W has greatly improved the external extractor system to be flawless. Models have come and gone and there are things that I still think can be improved but over all I would not hesitate to carry one of these pistols for protection of life and property.



These pistols are available everywhere and come in most every caliber. They have many models that have an alloy frame as in the 3913. They use a magazine safety that I do not like but I never remove it as it does not effect the trigger pull that much as compared to a Browning High Power. These pistols use a double draw bar system that is of a similar design as the CZ 75. All simalarity with the CZ stops there. The majority of the DA / SA pistols use a single trigger bar like the Sig Sauers and the Berettas and the HK USP line of handguns.


The majority of the S&W pistols do not feel very good in your hand as they use a one piece wrap around grip which I have no problem with. Hogue grip company makes a rubber replacement grip that I do not like because its not only too thick but also rubber clings to clothing. I find that I can live with the original grip with no problem.
This third generation pistol can be made much more accurate by recutting the crown of the barrel as it comes from the factory razor sharp and uneven. Like all pistols made today its mass produced but can be refined a great deal.


S&W like most manufacturers has decided to cut corners to save money and this really bothers me but it does not seem to effect the reliability of these pistols. All the ones I have seen now use a plastic or polymer disconnector. I do not like this idea as for years it was always made out of steel. One of the down sides to this pistol is that S&W will not sell you an extractor unless you have taken their armorers course and I believe the same applies to their slide mounted safety. I can not understand why a company can restrict an item so important to a select few people, how many people do you know that have an S&W armorers certificate.


This same policy of their sale of the external extractor applies to their 1911 pistol. You can not buy one, to get one installed you must return the pistol to the factory and let them install it. Maybe this is the result of their lawyers telling them what to do, I simply do not know. Its a bad policy for some one like me as I look at an extractor as a very critical item that can chip or break and you must be able to get one and install it quickly or you have a paperweight. The external extractor pin is very tight and is not easy to remove. It must be tight as I have seen to many external extractor pins walk out and one of the best designs made today is the Beretta 92f.


All in all I have given you a quick view of the S&W line of third generation pistols. The Double action can be made 9.5 lbs and the Single action can be set at 5 lbs. Regarding the DAO pistols it can be brought down from 12 lbs to a reliable 8 lbs once the friction has been taken out of the system. I NEVER CHANGE CRITICAL SPRINGS UNLESS I REMOVE THE FRICTION OUT OF THE ACTION OF ANY HANDGUN. I am not talking about a recoil spring, that is a different matter completely.


I do very limited work at this point in time as many of you know because of my declining health. The sad part is that I now know more than ever and I avoid these chat rooms like POISON. THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY FROM THESE SELF PROFESSED "EXPOITS"... MOST ARE ALL BS. If a person shoots a great deal that does not mean he knows about handgun internals and the geometry of a particular pistol. The internet has given all these BS artists a place to shine and get away with it. It makes them feel very important with no "RESUME"...


You can not go wrong over all if you buy and own a third generation S&W pistol. Should you have any questions please feel free to email me about any questions and I will answer you. This commentary as well as all my previous commentaries are my personal opinion and my personal viewpoint only, based on my experience since 1970.
Magazines for most all third generation pistols are readily available and one of the best sources to check are www.cdnninvestments.com
For ammo I would go to www.ammoman.com
For excellent articles I would go to www.hipowersandhandguns.com
For knives I would email my friend Mr. Taylor at actII@comcast.net


Thankyou for being here and reading my commentaries.

Teddy