Saturday, June 18, 2005

Buying Spare Parts

WELCOME TO THE NO BS ZONE OF TEDDY JACOBSON
updated Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 9:00 am - central time

I have given this topic a great deal of thought and at this point in time as our domestic and international problems grow daily it is time to purchase any spare part you will need for your carry gun or for any gun you may have to depend on in order to protect life and property. This is no longer something to just talk about, its time to look at each handgun you are serious about in keeping it operational. All things mechanical can and do break from time to time. I am going to assume you have the ammunition you need and that you have already stored food supplies and you bought some anti radiation tablets from www.ki4u.com
so I am going to list the different kinds of guns that I would consider and list the very parts and springs that I personally would buy, again this is all my personal opinion and if you are not interested please go some where else so you can hear the BS that makes you happy, you will not find any nonsense here like you do in the rubber chat rooms.


RUGER REVOLVERS
If I owned a Ruger revolver of any model I would buy an extra Hammer and Trigger return spring. If the friction has not been taken out of that particular revolver and it is stock as it came from the factory I would buy the factory standard rated springs and not reduced power. Having a Ruger SP101 you will find its made very well and I have not seen many problems other than refinements that some people wanted.

S&W REVOLVERS
If I were to make a list of parts needed it would depend on whether you have a new or old model. Lets take the new models for now and lets talk about the "J" frame which is not the same internally as there larger K, L, and N frames. I would buy a factory standard rated hammer spring and a rebound slide spring. Stay with the factory standard as you will have misfires if you install a reduced power spring unless the friction of the action has been removed. I would buy a new firing pin and firing pin spring which is integral with the frame itself. I would buy a new mim sear and sear spring which is very fragile.

For those that own a K,L, and N frame revolver I would buy a new Flat Main Spring and a new rebound slide spring. Once again stay with the factory rated spring. As in the new "J" frame this larger series also uses a frame mounted firing pin, BUY a new firing pin and firing pin spring.
These are not the old S&W revolvers of yesteryear. They are made different and work a little different and you can even hear the hollow sound they make when being dry fired. These are not expensive parts but you may need them.

TAURUS REVOLVERS
Same applies to these models as above. You will want the factory rated hammer and trigger return springs and the firing pin and firing pin springs.

COLT REVOLVERS
This is hard to write about as most of you have the older models, which in many cases use a "V" type main spring. Parts are very hard to get for Colt products but at the very least find out what springs your model uses and track down factory standard replacement springs and buy one.


SEMI AUTO PISTOS
The average semi auto pistol that a person carries should be giving priority in buying extra recoil springs and extra magazine springs and extra firing pin springs. You can either buy the factory spring or a good Wolff spring or you can go a step further and see if Marc at www.ismi-gunsprings.com has what you are looking for using chrome silicon wire instead of the factory original wire that was used.

1911 PISTOLS - (5 inch GOVERNMENT MODEL)
I would not only but extra springs such as mentioned above but I would get an extra firing pin and an extractor. I would buy extra followers for your magaine and I would go to Virgil Tripp at www.trippresearch.com
I would also get an extra magazine catch assembly spring as well as other springs such as a sear spring. No one really needs a full length guide rod if you use the factory standard recoil spring which is 16 lbs. Buy conventionally wound RECOIL springs as I would personally not use a variable spring for a pistol that shoots hot loads. You should own at LEAST 5 magazines for each 1911 pistol you own. I could write a book alone on this pistol but just use common sense and get your supply of extra parts and what ever is either prone to wear or break. Feel free to email me should you need help. You must have a superior holster and being that Lou Alessi is so very busy I suggest you call him and place your order as it may be 5 months before you can get it. Lou's phone number is 716 691 5615. Be sure you have extra cleaning supplies and lubrication of your choice. I use militec. www.militec-1.com


S&W THIRD GEN. PISTOLS
These are very good handguns and the same applies to getting extra springs to these models as well as most any other semi auto on the market. Get them while you can. Again I would buy all the items that are prone to wear or break. S&W toll free number is 800 331 0852


BROWNING HI POWER
The same applies here. In order to learn a great deal of necessary information about this pistol it would be best to visit Stephen Camps website which is www.hipowersandhandguns.com
Check out his excellent book on this model and the 1911 pistol.
If you need some direction you can email me.


GLOCK PISTOLS
This is a workhorse that will be your best friend if you learn to use it properly. You will need extra magazines and extra springs. You will need a good holster that will cover the entire trigger guard if you decide to keep a bullet in the chamber. Again I suggest you contact Lou Alessi about this. I like to keep all kinds of extra parts readily available for my personal Glock. In my mini Glock I use a Wolff guide rod but in my larger Glock I am using ISMI FLAT CHROME SILICON SPRINGS WITH THEIR GUIDE ROD. You must have at least 5 magazines for each pistol for your primary Glock. This is not something you should put off, do it now. Any questions feel free to email me.


BERETTA PISTOLS
There are mainly two models that I like and they are the 92F and the 8000. The very same thoughts apply here. You can get 15 shot capacity magazines for any of these models at this point in time. Do not put it off, do it now. You will need the extra springs and an extra firing pin, and their related springs.
You can find many of these parts at www.brownells.com
If they do not have them call the Beretta factory as they do have an 800 number. Any questions contact me.


SIG SAUER PISTOLS
These are some very popular handguns used everywhere. It is my opinion that the older models are better than the new models but that is strictly a personal opinion. Once again you need 5 magazines per each handgun. There is nothing wrong with the twisted wire recoil spring as provided by the factory on all new guns. I would still get the obvious replacement parts as described above for each model you will depend on.


HK PISTOLS
Now that the P7 pistols are no longer made these models are more popular than ever and are second to none on this planet for a reliable and accurate 9mm handgun. You will need the obvious replacement parts. I am pleased to say that Marc at ISMI Gunsprings will be making springs for this pistol very soon. Please do not call me for his springs call Marc at 800 773 1940 . I will not stock them to sell as I will only buy a quantity for my own use. This is my very favorite handgun.

The HK USP model is more popular than ever, but changing the recoil spring is not easy as it is captivated and the factory uses a jig to remove the lock ring holding the assembly and then they install a new lock ring when replacing the recoil spring on the captivated guide rod. I suggest you just buy a complete new assembly guide rod and spring, as a spare. I also would buy the obvious firing pin and extractor and related springs. You will need a roll punch to remove the extractor pin, which can be purchased from Brownells - 800 741 0015.


I have not covered all the models I wanted to but you get the idea of what I would do. ANY PART THAT IS PRONE TO BREAK OR WEAR MUST BE PURCHASED AND PUT ASIDE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. AT THIS POINT IN TIME WE HAVE MORE ENEMIES THAN PEOPLE WILL ADMIT TO AROUND THE WORLD.

Sure the borders are open and not controlled as they should have been all these years. That is not what worries me now, its what they were allowed to get into our country all these past 15 or more years during different administrations. Remember Diplomatic immunity. You can not close the barn door after the horses have already gotten out. Its kind of late for all the BS now. THIS IS NO TIME TO PROCRASTINATE as we are being told only what they want us to know.

This commentary as well as all my previous commentaries are my personal opinion and my personal viewpoint only. Please email me about subjects you would like me to write about that falls into my area of expertise. There are so many people that just work on the American favorite 1911 pistol and they think the world just revolves around that handgun. There is a whole world of more reliable pistols out there that they do not know anything about and would never admit to it but I will tell you what I know about any of the 100 plus models I can discuss in complete detail. Just Ask me to expand on what you need to know. For the shotgun people, I do not work on them, but I do recommend you buy Remington Nickle plated buckshot that has much greater penetration than standard lead buckshot. You must buy extra batteries not only for your flashlights but if you use a laser device on your gun, get the extra batteries that you will need. If you have a GPS unit, buy extra batteries. I have not ever seen any rechargeable batteries that have the full voltage of Alkaline or Lithium. I am waiting for the new Panasonic batteries to be available very soon that will last longer, which I mentioned in a previous commentary. Many people have illuminated Recticle scopes or a pro point type device, get extra batteries now. If you have walkie talkies get extra batteries for that also. We have had a lot of power failures here in south Texas lately and I learned that if you buy a rechargeable flashlight be sure its AC and DC so you can always charge it up in your vehicle.

For all the people that have called and wanted to buy my tools and stones, they are no longer for sale. I am considering turning all these tools over to some one else to make that will be for sale to certain people. They will not come from me in any way as I am not selling anything, due to declining health but they are in big demand and I am just thinking about helping out the truly decent people that deserve the best of help.



Teddy