Thursday, July 28, 2005

Home Defense

WELCOME TO THE NO BS ZONE OF TEDDY JACOBSON

THIS COMMENTARY AS WELL AS ALL MY PREVIOUS COMMENTARIES ARE MY PERSONAL OPINION AND MY PERSONAL VIEWPOINT ONLY. WHEN I QUOTE OTHER PEOPLE IT HAS BEEN COPIED AND PASTED FROM A PUBLIC FORUM AND OR AN EMAIL THAT WAS SENT TO ME.


This topic of home defense is a major concern to most all of us. I have received a great many emails asking me about this subject and about which rifles and carbines and shotguns that I like. I do not do much work on these larger weapons as I have confined my field of expertise to handgun actions. I have owned a great many long guns when was younger and quite a few shotguns. As to which is better I can only give you my personal opinion based on what I have seen. ITS FORD VS. CHEVY, WHICH IS BETTER ?? WHICH DO YOU LIKE ?? They will both get you from point A to B..

I have had a rifle around me since I was under the age of 9 years old. My father made sure that I was very safety minded and he insisted that I practiced and become very good with his rifles. In the early 50's era the ultimate rifle was the Winchester Model 70 with out a doubt. I only knew of one person that had a Remington 700, and it was because it was all he could afford at that point in time. But before I get into the why's of rifles I will stay on topic of home defense.

I have a situation now as many of you do, where I do not have small kids around the house to worry about. I am past that stage and I stated in my previous commentary that my gun of choice was a large frame Beretta 92F. This pistol has never let me down and I have no reason what ever to change my way of thinking. It is very important to visualize where in your home that you spend the most of your time. You must know where to strategically place your weapons and you must know what is where at all times. I do the same with knives as I do the handguns or rifles or shotguns. I feel very comfortable protecting myself with a very sharp and rugged knife.

Many people have asked me which Carbines I favor. I never owned an AK-47 although it has proven to be super reliable through out the world. I have never believed it was accurate. I have seen many of them from many countries of origin. When I think back some of the nicer ones have seen were made in China by Polytech if I remember right. These AK-47 rifles were made by so many companies in so many countries I am not familiar with all of them.

I have always preferred to buy and own an AR-15 in 223 remington caliber (5.56mm Nato). This would be my carbine of choice with a good holowpoint bullet. I always liked the CAR version with the collapsible stock. In the early days I would have selected a Colt but at this point in time I would buy a Bushmaster. Hornady "TAP" ammunition is a very good choice in this caliber. The early AR-15 rifles has a different rifling twist than the current production models, because now many people are using the 62 grain bullet. I do think that the penetrating SS109 bullets have a definite advantage depending at what you are shooting at. These bullets can be found either already loaded or they are available for reloading through certain suppliers. The way to be sure its a real SS109 bullet is to hold a magnet to the bullet as a true SS109 has a steel shaft within the bullet. I think that if you have an opportunity to buy some of these SS109 bullets, do not wait, get some while you can.

I also like the HK 94 carbine in 9mm which is no longer made that I know of. This came in 2 versions, one had a callapsible stock and the other model was a straight stock. They are worth a great deal of money today. It was chambered in 9mm, at least the one I had was. I do regret selling it but it was for another purchase of an HK I wanted at that time many years ago. You can never go wrong purchasing an HK product, it is for those that still want the very best.

All these carbines I am now talking about can and are used for home defense. When the UZI model "A" came out it was very popular and even though it had stamped parts it was a first rate weapon of choice around the world. It was a 9mm carbine that had a folding stock that was made of metal. The commercial UZI carbines were fitted with black plastic stock pieces and the original Israeli army issue had green plastic stocks and grips. The civillian UZI fired from a closed bolt design. The UZI was very reliable and ideal for close quarters home defense using IMI Samson hot ammunition. They then came out with their model "B" design. I always liked the model "A" better.

I will not go into detail about the smaller UZI mini gun or their pistol size UZI. I was never very familiar with those. The model "A" and "B" used either 25 or 32 round magazines if I remember right. Remember I am an old bird and my memory is not as good as it once was. These were very rugged no nonsense weapons that were ideal for close quarters and the civillian versions were all semi auto in operation. These were used by the elite forces in the Israeli Army but they had the fully auto version that worked from an open bolt design. These UZI carbines would run forever as they are solid like a rock.

I know that companies like Ruger make a 9mm carbine that I think use their same pistol magazines and they are available in 9mm or 40sw caliber. My personal choice is still the 9mm using a +P+ ammo. I know that the Ruger Mini 14 is super reliable as having owned some in the past but I never found them to be as accurate as a good AR15. I never did understand why Ruger did not offer the Mini 14 with a 16 inch bull barrel. I would have bought one of those. I would still buy it in 223 remington caliber using a very good commercial grade of ammunition.

I know that other companies are making 9mm carbines like Beretta but I do not know enough about them to comment. I know Marlin no longer makes their Camp carbine in 45 acp. I have no official word from Marlin as to why they stopped making and selling it and will not speculate. The M1 Carbine of WWII fame is still available but the cartridge leaves a lot to be desired. I used to own one made by General Motors. I should have kept it, selling it was a mistake.

Having a small carbine is a very good idea for home defense. But as most people there is always the 12 gauge pump that many of us have relied on through the years. As to which home defense shotgun is best, remember FORD vs. CHEVY ?? Most all current shotguns have an aluminum receiver except the Remington 870. I am now told that Ithaca is once again out of business. They were a first rate shotgun. If I was personally going to buy a shotgun that was to be used for home defense think I would want a semi auto with a steel receiver. I still own an old Ithaca model 37 and it was used for police work many years ago.

I can only present different options and different opinions but in the end its your decision to make. You must stay with a caliber that will be easy to get during hard times. This is no time for experimentation as I see current events. Go with something with a proven track record that will not let you down. The ammunition that is available to the American shooter is the very best there is and so you make your decisions based on sound logic.

I have gotten some emails where people have expressed various opinions about what they like best. I agree that a person must make their very own decisions based on their requirements. I for one take this very seriously and even the ammo that I rely on exceeds all my expectations but in the very end it comes down to bullet placement. I have thought long and hard about shotgun shells and which is best for home defense. That is a double edge sword because if its anti personnel its one direction and if its against a barrier or car that is another direction.

SW used to make and sell a 12 gauge sabot slug that would just about penetrate anything. There are similar shells available today. If you did a search on various shotgun shells in the exotic form you would be shocked at what is available. Do I think you need them, not in my opinion but other people buy and stock them. One of the best 12 gauge rounds you can buy for home defense is the Remington nickle plated buckshot because its much better penetrating than plain lead. It will open doors for you or in the case for Police it will give them the edge they never had before.

I think if you sit down and make a list of what you have vs. what you need and prepare for hard times for home defense you will be way ahead of the game. Stay with a few select calibers that are popular. You do not need new or exotic calibers, these current manufacturers will never stop coming out with new products because its not only how they survive but its designed to part you with your BENJAMIN FRANKLINS. Its designed to convince you that you can not live with out their new caliber or new handgun or new rifle. In the very end its your decision to make. Always remember its bullet placement. Years ago, especially when I was in Law Enforcement my life was threatened a great many times and I used to politely tell the people that made the threats, Remember bullets go both ways. That is all I will say about that, its all history.

Remember to get things for home defense that are not gun related like food and water and DAWG or CAT food. I like to buy fluorescent lanterns for when the power is out. I like rechargeable flashlights of all kinds. I like to buy cases of "ENSURE". I especially like to buy extra knives and I like a neck knife that is razor sharp. In Texas we can not legally carry a knife that has a sharpened double edge, another words the blades can only be sharpened on one side. Having extra knives is top priority for me. Knowing how to sharpen them quickly by hand is just as important.

I hope this commentary about home defense has really helped you. If you want to know more about what I think of Rifles email me and I will write an additional commentary about them. Thanks for all the nice letters and phone calls.

Another commentary will be written in a couple of days.



Teddy


THIS COMMENTARY AS WELL AS ALL MY PREVIOUS COMMENTARIES ARE MY PERSONAL OPINION AND MY PERSONAL VIEWPOINT ONLY. ALL QUOTES FROM OTHER PEOPLE WERE COPIED AND PASTED FROM "PUBLIC FORUMS" AND EMAILS SENT TO ME.