Saturday, July 23, 2005

My Handgun Of Choice

WELCOME TO THE NO BS ZONE OF TEDDY JACOBSON

NEW COMMENTARY WILL BE WRITTEN IN A DAY OR SO.

THIS COMMENTARY AS WELL AS ALL MY PREVIOUS COMMENTARIES ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION AND MY OWN PERSONAL VIEWPOINT ONLY. WHEN I HAVE QUOTED OTHER PEOPLE THE QUOTES WERE COPIED AND PASTED FROM PUBLIC FORUMS OF ALL KINDS.


After getting so many inquiries about asking what my pistol of choice is I decided to tell everyone and explain why. My property is protected by an electronic alarm system along with my dawgs. I had to decide on a large capacity pistol that I liked and that my wife and son could handle well. I had to select a caliber that would not be super loud and that would not over penetrate through walls and injure an innocent person. I made this decision a very long time ago and I have never deviated from it.

I selected a Beretta 92F as my property and house handgun of choice and I will explain why in complete detail. This is not the pistol I carry as its too big and its not that easy to conceal but for protection of life and property I found it to be ideal. Most women do "NOT" have any trouble racking the slide of this pistol, its very easy compared to its competition.
I keep many 92F's all over fully loaded with 16 rounds of +P+ ammo and regardless of the BS you read no one walks away from a few of these that are place in vital areas.

For example if you look at a box of Triton Quik Shok ammunition in 9mm +P using a 115 grain bullet it has a velocity stated on the box of 1325 feet per second and it has 448 ft. lbs. of energy using a 4 inch barrel.

If you look at a box of Corbon Pow'r Ball ammunition using 100 grain +P, it is stated on the box to have a velocity of 1475 feet per second and the energy also stated on the same box is 483 ft. lbs.

I will not fight the war with those that want to believe that using a 45acp using a 230 grain bullet that travels at approx. 750 to 800 feet per second is their cats meow. This load bounces off a car door leaving a very large dent.

I am firmly convinced that these old theories of slow heavy bullets is BS. With todays technical advancements in bullet technology and the newer double base nitro powders these smaller calibers that I like to use is the way to go. Police ammunition that is sold through law enforcement dealers have the option of buying +P+ 9mm ammunition in a 115 grain bullet that is really devastating and it is made by different American manufacturers. It is for sale to Police only.


The reason that I did not select other brands of pistols are very important. I eliminated the Sig 226 because of the hammer reset design and it was too difficult for a woman to rack the slide. The Sig line of handguns are very good but I am left handed so that would not work for me. The Federal agents often select the Sig pistol and they work well but I like the 92F better for my purposes.

The Beretta 92F has a chamber indicator and if you study the design as much as I have done all these past 25 years you would understand why it has a superior extraction system. I also like the Beretta Cougar with its rotating barrel design and I have kept one near my bed for many years fully loaded. NOT ONE OF THESE BERETTAS HAS EVER JAMMED AT ANY TIME WITH ANY AMMUNITION. On the Cougar BARREL, I always bake about 30 micro scopic coatings of a special moly that is used in a different industry. I always wash it down with a specific chemical and heat it to a specified temperature and air brush the coats and then bake it at a specific temperature at a set amount of time. I have a rack that holds the barrel that Bubba my machinist friend made for me to do all this. This rack is then placed in my oven with the barrel in place.

I have not found the Beretta 92F to be as accurate as some of its competition but for my purposes at close range of possible social encounters it will not matter one bit. I have also grown very fond of the Beretta Brigadier Elite II model, it is well made and fairly accurate. These large Beretta pistols lock up in the rear and they have no front end bushing.

If I had to pick a second high capacity handgun of my choice it would be the Glock model 17 (9mm) with out a doubt.

I have no intentions of changing my thoughts on this large frame Beretta 92F. I feel very comfortable with having one loaded with either 16 rounds of Triton Quik Shok or 16 rounds of Corbon ammunition or even a +P+ round of any good American munufacturer. When I use a very hot load I always use a stronger recoil spring and I have spare magazine springs on hand at all times. I always have extra firing pins and extra extractors and extra extractor springs. The extractor must be taken out periodically and cleaned.

I believe in having a lot of extra magazines. My personal minimum requirement for each 92F is having 5 magazines per pistol. I do not like the small Beretta pistols and do not own any, but when it comes to a large frame semi auto I always go for the 92F. I have no interest in night sights or flash lights or lasers that are on the weapon. I do not mind a Surefire flash light in my right hand. I am looking forward to seeing this new Blackhawk flash light that has a built in strobe effect setting. It will have an advanced ceramic finish.

I have kept some of my Beretta pistols loaded for years. I no longer have an interest in target shooting. When I need to use a 92F it will be the real deal of protection of life and property. All my ammunition that is in these 92's have sealed primers. In my carry hand gun which is a totally different animal I never carry a bullet unless the primers are sealed to perfection and the bullets have a rubbed in paraffin wax coating.

I use Militec metal treatment on my handguns and the very ones I use or carry I keep them on the dry side. I am trying to get Marc at ISMI to make me some Chrome Silicon Wire springs for these weapons. But its very demanding when you are a one person operation like Marc is and I have been a one person operation all these years. Even my friend Lou Alessi the famous holster maker can only do so much as he does most of the operations himself.


Years ago in the famous FBI shootout the problem was where everyone blamed the 9mm for its inability to stop the perpitrators. Those 9mm bullets if I remember right were traveling at a velocity of about 1100 feet per second. I am going by memory and I am an old bird but the ammunition of todays 9mm bullet is far more advanced than ever. No one can walk away from a couple of well placed Triton Quik Shok bullets in 9mm using a 115 grain bullet. The current advancement in not only bullet technology but also current powders like Vhita Vuori are beyond comprehension. I have used a lot of their 340 powder with a Winchester Silvertip bullet and it was about 1320 feet per second. There are now far more advanced bullets available today, there is a new generation of handgun projectiles available to the American shooter and Law Enforcement officer.

I have no doubt that my decision to use and carry a 9mm pistol will give me the destructive power that I would need in a social but deadly encounter for the protection of life and property. NEVER CONFUSE THE TWO TYPES OF HANDGUNS. My carry handgun is not the same as my house gun. There can be no confusion here. We are talking about two different animals. My house and property handgun must be a very large high capacity handgun that is flawless, I am certainly not interested in 1 inch groups at 25 yards. My acceptable accuracy for MY PERSONAL handguns has always been 2 inch groups at 36 feet during rapid fire.


I am going to retire my Glock 27 very shortly and my gun of choice is going to be a Glock 19, this pistol has been completely reworked and you would not even recognize it as I had my friend Virgil Tripp hard chrome the slide in a matte finish and he did a superb job. This model 19's BARREL has a very superior baked on ceramic coating that has super lubricity and is extremely hard in a titanium color. I have reworked the entire action and installed chrome silicon springs along with a New York Trigger spring. I like the heavier trigger pull in all my Glock carry handguns.

This Glock 19 holds 16 rounds of pure hell in a small package. I refused to install night sights and I installed a dot front sight that I repainted with fluorescent yellow and sealed it with a special 3M industrial epoxy. I will be carrying this as my gun of choice in these times that try mens souls.

I have never been interested in hard to find calibers even though I may like them, for example I like a 38 super caliber but I would NEVER buy one. I know a lot of people that like the 9x23 caliber but I would never buy one. There are two calibers that I really think are very good, one is the 41 magnum for a revolver and the other is the 357 sig caliber. In hard times if the sale of ammunition is shut down you will have a paperweight. I do not go down that road of despair. I never lie to myself.

In my younger years I would practice a great deal shooting a revolver. And when I was very heavily into the Martial Arts (40 years ago) I worked with a Doctor and he had me study medical books to know where vital organs were, looking at different angles. I never liked shooting paper targets like other people. I did shoot at an indoor range often in south Florida but it was for consistency and sight picture and trigger control more than any other reason. I became very good but never liked punching paper. I had extensive training with many firearms while in the Police Academy. I was told what to carry, at that point in time I wanted to carry a SW model 67 but it was not to be. I carried a brand new Colt 45 government model that jammed every other shot.

I now think about my choice of handguns more now than ever. I still feel the HK P7 M8 is the finest 9mm on the planet especially for a lefty like me but I always worry about hard to get spare parts. That is a very critical issue for me. HK HAS NOW DISCONTINUED THE P7. It is such a good handgun that the factory Smiths own them also. I have learned to place every house handgun or rifle in a specific place where I am always aware of where I am on the property. You must also decide what is best for you, everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you.

Having young children in your house will not allow you to do what I have done. Its simply out of the question as safety must come first. I have given you my honest thoughts based on a great deal of experience. You can not go wrong with a Beretta 92F or a Beretta Cougar or any of the Glock models. I can not choose for you, I can only present various options and in the end the final decision must be yours. It would also be a good idea to think about a 9mm carbine as well as a shotgun for your home.

THIS COMMENTARY AS WELL AS ALL MY PREVIOUS COMMENTARIES ARE MY PERSONAL OPINION AND MY PERSONAL VIEWPOINT ONLY. IF YOU NEED TO ASK ME A QUESTION PLEASE EMAIL ME AT tjacobson@houston.rr.com

Teddy